Mental Health Therapist
The MacEwan University Health Centre is a new state-of-the-art primary care clinic, located in downtown Edmonton, focused on the Patient-Centered Medical Home model which provides patient-centered, comprehensive, coordinated, and accessible care based on the patient’s needs. As the
full-time Mental Health Therapist you will help patients of the clinic develop skills and resources they need to enhance their social functioning and social environments. Within the scope of practice, you will assess, diagnose, and provide psychotherapeutic interventions across the lifespan with
individuals, couples, families, and groups. When needed, you will be responsible for the coordination of patient services, and then the referral of patients to external supports or health care providers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide clinical biopsychosocial assessments using a variety of assessment methods to assess clinical mental health problems.
- Participate in early detection of emerging patient emotional, behavioral and mental disorders.
- Develop and implement clinical treatment plans.
- Guides patients in the development of skills and strategies for handling their problems.
- Provide short term individual and group counselling.
- Examine issues including substance abuse, aging, bullying, anger management, careers, depression, relationships, LGBTQ issues, self-image, stress and suicide.
- Collect and maintain data for individual client and program evaluation.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary case conferences and provide consultation and education to support other health care service providers.
- Develop positive working relationships/partnerships with other disciplines, agencies and health care professionals in order to promote coordinated service, quality care and access to appropriate resources for clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Masters of Social Work with a specialization in clinical social work from a program accredited with the Canadian Association for Social Work Education or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience with providing mental health therapy (individual or group counseling) for adults and youth, and children
- Knowledge and experience with addiction support across a continuum of patient preferences (eg: abstinence, harm reduction, etc)
- Experience with capacity assessments
- Crisis Counselling experience and the ability to deal effectively with patients with mental health concerns who are experiencing crises.
- Understands and follows applicable legislation (e.g., Mental Health Act, Child Welfare Act, Health Information Act, Privacy Act, other) And knowledge of mental health resources/programs.
Must have clear criminal record check
Must be actively registered with the Alberta College of Social Workers
Please submit your salary expectations with your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Only successful candidates will be contacted.
Posted March 20, 2019